Tuesday, September 04, 2007

In response to Peter's concern...

Peter commented with immense concern over my bookcase organizing system, by color. You can read the comment on that post, which I think is two entries down. There he writes that organizing by color is "barbaric" and wonders how on earth I can find any books at all and ever.

Peter, calm yourself. Let me quiet your fears by explaining.

I am a Literature major, therefore I love books. I have purchased hundreds if not thousands of dollars worth of books in my lifetime. If I were to keep them all around, my whole apartment would be a library. So I only keep books around that I like, and since I've read them a couple times, I tend to know the colors of them, and usually search for them by color because who on earth has time to organize alphabetically?

For example, a sampling of my books, and, without looking, their colors:

  • The Undomestic Goddess - Yellow
  • Calico Palace - White
  • Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix - Blue
  • Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince - Green
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Orangish
  • The Holy Temple - White
  • The Five Love Languages - Purple
  • Dictionary - one Red, one Blue
  • Harry Potter books in French - Black
  • The Secret Garden - Green
Is everyone feeling a little more peaceful about my decision? ;-)

3 comments:

AMD said...

#1: I fully support the way you organize your books.
#2: Mike Olsen, who must have stalked you through my blog, thought that entry was funny, not troubling
#3: I do have one question though: For boxed sets, such as the Harry Potter collection, do you keep them together, or do you seperate them by color? That one would be a little more difficult to understand.
#4: Peter can stuff it! He doesn't have to find books in your bookshelf! And besides I'm sure your bookshelf looks cuter than his.

Jamie said...

In response to point #3, which is quite valid, luckily, my French Harry Potter boxed set are all black, so they could stay together. I did, however, split up the American ones (non-boxed, but still, I see your point) by color, because theres kind of no point in only going half way. And, as demonstrated by my post, I know them all by color anyway. Because I am a book geek.

Peter FNFN said...

In response to #1: I too fully support the way you organize your books.

In response to your post: still a bad idea... if anyone comes to your house who bought the Alchemist in 1999 might have a purple copy, yet you might have bought the very same book by the very same author in 2001 with a yellowish-orange cover. what now?

Thus, i view your bookshelf organization as a means to confuse your guests and secure the dominating position when they step foot inside.

in response to #1: I fully support your desire to have it your way, right away! whether or not it pleases your guests.

truth be told... i always feel very welcome in the Walton's abode, and hope things will remain the same.
p.s. i'm moving and will have yall over in the near future! and just as a forewarning... I don't have many books... i'm an econ major... didn't start pleasure reading till this summer. and i prefer the audiobooks anyways...